Address: 305 Energy Parkway NE, Rochester, MN 55906 (Formerly Silver Creek Rd NE)
Facility Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Department Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Modified Disposal Process
- It is mandatory that customers wear masks while inside the building - even when inside their vehicle.
- All waste items must be in the back of your vehicle (trunk, cargo bed, rear of SUV)
- Waste items must be accessible by our staff without you getting out of your vehicle
- Stay in line and wait your turn; stay in your vehicle
- Drive into the unloading area and turn off your engine; stay in your vehicle
- Staff will remove your waste
- "Very Small Quantity Generators" (VSQG) business waste needs pre-approval by application
- The facility will once again be able to accept credit cards for items with a disposal fee.
Temporary Hazardous Waste Disposal Fees
- Neon Lamps/Broken Lamps = $1 per tube
- PCB Ballasts (Small) = $3 each
- PCB Ballasts (Large) = $8 each
- Lead Paint Chips = $1 per cubic foot
- Asbestos Containing Material = $10 per 30-gallon bag
- Antifreeze = $1 per gallon
Identifying Hazardous Materials
Look for the following words on the item's label:
- Contains Acid
- Contains Lye
- Contains petroleum distillates
- Causes burns to skin
Improper use or disposal can be harmful to human health and the environment.
Olmsted County residents that have unwanted or unusable household hazardous wastes (HHW) can bring them to the Hazardous Waste Facility in Rochester. Items accepted at the Hazardous Waste Facility include:
- Household Cleaners
- Mercury products such as thermostats and thermometers
- Auto, rechargeable, and button batteries
- Used Antifreeze
- Sharps - Call 507-328-7078 for procedure
- Special Waste
Hazardous Waste Reuse Center
Some of the materials brought to the Hazardous Waste Facility are still perfectly usable. These items are given a second life in the facility's Reuse Room.
Any products you find in the Reuse Room are free for the taking. Products are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Visitors are asked to limit the number of items they take to ten per day. Common items include:
- Automotive Products (waxes, cleaners, fuel additives, etc.)
- Cleaning Products
- Paint Solvents
- Wood Stains
- There is no guarantee these products will be available.
Businesses and nonprofit organizations located in Southeast Minnesota generating less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month may participate in the Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) program.
The VSQG program was developed to help dispose of small amounts of hazardous waste cost effectively and in compliance with state and federal regulations.