Retail tobacco sales are governed* by Olmsted County’s Olmsted County Tobacco Sales and Youth Access Ordinance. Resolution No. 98-23.
This ordinance establishes:
- No retail establishment shall sell or offer to sell any tobacco product without first having obtained a license to do so from the County.
- Determines fees for licensure and services
- Determines the basis for eligibility and denial of license
- Determines limitations on sales and merchandising of tobacco products
- Determines responsibility for the sale of tobacco products
- Sales-compliance checks and administrative penalties
*Except where a license has been obtained from a city or local government agency.
If you have a retail establishment and want to sell tobacco products, you must have a license from Olmsted County.
1. Download and read the Tobacco Sales and Youth Access Ordinance #15-01.
This document explains the definitions, regulations, rules, and requirements that your establishment must meet to qualify for a tobacco license.
2. Download and complete the application
3. Mail or deliver the application and fees
Mail or deliver the completed form and all application fees to:
Olmsted County Public Health Services
Attn: Tobacco License
2100 Campus Drive SE
Rochester, MN 55904
We accept check, money order, or certified check payable to Olmsted County Public Health Services.
4. Schedule a pre-opening discussion
Prior to issuing a license, OCPHS will review the layout of your establishment to assure product display requirements and