If you disagree with your property’s market value, you have the right to appeal the value.
To begin the appeal process, follow these steps
- Collect the facts to show your case by gathering recent appraisals or recent sales of like property.
- Contact the Assessor's Office.
- Call 507-328-7670
- Visit the Assessor's Office at Property Records, 151 4 Street SE, Rochester MN 55904, during normal business hours.
- Talk to county staff to review your information and talk about your value or classification.
If the issue is not resolved
Attend an appeal meeting
- You may attend the appeal meetings listed on your Valuation Notice.
Does your city/township have a Local Board of Appeal?
- Yes: You must start here.
- No: Go directly to the County Board of Appeal.
Final options (if still not resolved)
You may petition the Minnesota Tax Court. Tax Petitions may be filed after you receive your Valuation Notice and before April 30 of the year the taxes are payable. Contact the Minnesota Tax Court at 651-539-3260.
Olmsted County’s Alternative Service Method for Tax Court Petitions
Statutory April 30 deadline for service/filing.
Based upon a 2023 revision to Minnesota Statutes § 278.01, state law now requires service of one copy of a tax petition upon the county auditor. The Statute further provides that the county auditor may waive personal service of a petition and elect to use an alternative service method. Olmsted County has elected to use and has developed an alternative method for service of tax petitions.
Alternative Service of Tax Petitions on Olmsted County
The County of Olmsted will accept service of tax petitions for the annual April 30 service/filing deadline when those petitions are e-mailed to:
This email inbox will be monitored by staff designated by the Olmsted County Auditor to accept and acknowledge service of tax appeal petitions.
For those petitioners who are unable to serve tax appeal petitions via email, personal service of tax petitions upon Olmsted County may be accomplished by personally delivering the Petition to a member of the staff at the following address:
Olmsted County Attorney’s Office
151 Fourth Street Southeast
Rochester, Minnesota 55904
Acknowledgement of Service
Upon receipt of tax petitions, the County will issue to Petitioners an acknowledgment attesting that service of the petition has been accepted.