If you disagree with your property’s market value, you have the right to appeal the value.
To begin the appeal process, follow these steps
- Collect the facts to show your case by gathering recent appraisals or recent sales of like property.
- Contact the Assessor's Office.
- Call 507-328-7670
- Visit the Assessor's Office at Property Records, 151 4 Street SE, Rochester MN 55904, during normal business hours.
- Talk to county staff to review your information and talk about your value or classification.
If the issue is not resolved
Attend an appeal meeting
- You may attend the appeal meetings listed on your Valuation Notice.
Does your city/township have a Local Board of Appeal?
- Yes: You must start here.
- No: Go directly to the County Board of Appeal.
Final options (if still not resolved)
COVID-19 update: Alternative service of tax petition instructions
- You may petition the Minnesota Tax Court. Tax Petitions may be filed after you receive your Valuation Notice and before April 30 of the year the taxes are payable. Contact the Minnesota Tax Court at 651-539-3260.
- You may file an abatement which is a formal, written request, made to the county assessor to change the market value or classification on a property. Contact the county assessor regarding abatements.