Chester Woods Park and Oxbow Park have several picnic areas available for your upcoming gathering.
Shelter map and availability can be viewed at the parks reservation website. To make a payment that reserves a shelter please call 507-328-7070. Shelter Reservations are only refundable if greater than 7 days prior to your event. No refunds on booking fee. No same day refunds as all transactions have a 24-hour waiting period.
Chester Woods Park has 7 separate picnic shelter areas, each with a hard surface parking area.
Oxbow Park has 3 separate picnic shelter areas. The main picnic area has three pavilions.
All shelters include electrical outlets, a fire ring, a stand-up grill, and a vaulted (non flush) toilet nearby. If shelter is rented there will be a notice posted on the shelter. If the shelter is not rented it is available on a first-come, first-served basis. There are picnic tables in each shelter. For ADA accessible picnic shelter details please call 507-328-7070.
Rental Times and Rates
5 a.m. - 2 p.m.
4 p.m. - 10 p.m.
5 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Shelter Reservation Fees:
Half Day: $75
Full Day: $125
* $5.00 booking fee is applied to all shelter reservations
Oxbow Park’s 2nd Bridge picnic area has an option for large events (over 100 people) - full-day rental is $300. These events include the rental of the shelter and the surrounding green space. Rentals of this type need to be made by calling Oxbow Park at 328-7070 for full details and regulations.
Rules and regulations for use of Parks' picnic shelters
- Reservations must be made through the Olmsted County Parks Department to assure the availability of the shelter of your choice. Shelters are available for reservations from May 1st through October 30th.
- Shelter reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the rental date.
- Shelter reservations guarantee the renter has the sheltered/roofed area available for use for their event. The water, bathrooms, play equipment, and all green space in the park are open to the public and exclusive use is not included in the shelter reservation nor is the use of these areas excluded from the public unless an EXCLUSIVE PARK USE PERMIT has been authorized. Restrooms are stocked with toilet paper. Soap and paper towels are not provided. Please bring your own.
- The individual whose name appears on the reservation request is responsible for all damage to facilities for that event and is also responsible for the group’s conduct while using the facilities.
- Parking and delivery are restricted to designated parking lots only. THERE IS TO BE NO DRIVING OF VEHICLES ON WALKING PATHS, PARK AREAS, OR ROADWAYS. Vehicles illegally parked may be towed away at the owner’s expense.
- REFUND POLICY: REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN IF GREATER THAN 7 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR EVENT. NO REFUNDS ON BOOKING FEE.
- No beverage kegs are allowed per the County Ordinance.
- Shelter renter shall save and hold harmless Olmsted County, its officers, agents, employees, and members, from all claims, suits, or actions of whatsoever nature resulting from or arising out of the renting of park shelters.
- Persons leasing the park shelters are required to remove all decorations and signs that are used in decorating the shelter. This request includes the removal of directional signs leading users to the shelter.
- Trash receptacles are not located at each shelter. Please bring your own garbage bags and haul them away to the nearest garbage dumpster. Please leave the picnic areas clean for the next user.
- Events with more than 250 persons shall be required to provide additional porta-potties and trash receptacles.
- Please refer to the Olmsted County Parks Rules and Regulations Policy for additional general park rules.