The 2020 Crime Free Multi-Housing Program has been canceled. Please check back in 2021 for the next scheduled program.
The Olmsted County Sheriff's Office encourages owners and/or managers of rental property to participate in the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program. The Olmsted County/Rochester Crime Free Multi-Housing Program instructs property owners and managers on how to keep illegal activity off their property. This, in turn, creates a more stable community and neighborhood, benefiting renters as well as property owners.
The Crime Free Multi-Housing Program delivers two important messages
- Effective property management can have a major impact on the health of a community. There are accessible, legitimate techniques that can be used to prevent or stop the spread of illegal activity on rental property.
- The program teaches property managers their responsibilities in working with the police and neighbors to keep drugs and other illegal activity out of their rental properties.
The Course Content includes
- Rental Agreements - Approaches that will strengthen the ability to evict drug house tenants; use of Crime Free Lease Addendum.
- Ongoing Management - How to manage property in a way that discourages illegal behavior and ensures early warning should it occur; how to build an apartment community, within multi-family complexes.
- Warning Signs of Illegal activity - Identifying drugs and clandestine labs; understanding the behavior associated with dealing, distribution, and growing. Also includes an overview of local gang activity, graffiti, and warning signs.
- Eviction - The options, process, the practical application in various legal situations.
- Working with the Police - What to expect, what not to expect, how to get maximum cooperation; an introduction to community policing.
- Section 8 (Subsidized Housing) - The rights and responsibilities are different from the typical private rental situation. The training gives additional information for preventing illegal activity with tenants whose rent is subsidized.
- Working with the Fire Department - Maintaining life safety and fire awareness.
Background Check Resources
Criminal Background Checks
- Public Terminal for local records checks: 5th Floor of the Government Center
- LexisNexis Resident Screening