Housing Choice Voucher holders who wish to move in or out of Olmsted County and use their voucher must follow the correct transfer process. If you would like to move into Olmsted County please follow the Port-In process. If you would like to move out of Olmsted County please follow the Port-out process.
The port-in process can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks.
- Your current Housing Authority will want to know if we are Billing or Absorbing - Olmsted County is currently accepting billing ports
- You will need to get permission from your current Housing Authority. Look up your current Housing Authority contact information here
- Your current Housing Authority needs to contact our Port Specialist, Sandra Nelson, to send the necessary Port paperwork
- Once we have received your paperwork and everything is approved, you will be sent an application from Olmsted County to complete and return to us.
- After your application has been submitted, this would be the appropriate time for you to start your search for housing.
- Provide a written letter to your landlord, stating your Intent to Vacate; your lease states how far in advance you need to give this notice. Your OCHRA caseworker will need a copy of this letter as well.
- You will need to complete the "Request for Portability" form and turn it into your Housing Specialist along with the Vacate notice.
Request for Portability
- Your caseworker will mail a move-out letter to your current landlord to ensure that: You have given the landlord your Notice of Intent to Vacate at least 30 days in advance, you have paid all the rent you owe, there are no damages to your unit
- Your OCHRA caseworker will send needed documents to the new Public Housing Authority, once received, your new Public Housing Authority will contact you
- Once your request to move is approved, your OCHRA caseworker will contact you to schedule an appointment. At this meeting, you will receive any needed voucher or other paperwork from us. We will fax a copy of your information to the Public Housing Authority in your new city.
- Within seven to 14 days you can contact the new PHA to confirm that they have received and processed your information. Your new PHA will be able to answer any questions you may have about their program at that time.