Health Promotion Internship
Olmsted County Public Health Services (OCPHS) Health Promotion unit offers unpaid internships for undergraduate students in community health, health and wellness promotion, and Public Health. Interns will work with staff in the health promotion unit on a variety of community projects and programs in Olmsted County.
OCPHS is located in Rochester, Minnesota. Self-motivated and innovative students should apply. All internships must be a minimum of 12 weeks (480 hours), but may be increased to meet school requirements.
Interns gain experience in the full delivery of population health interventions including assessment, program planning, community engagement, and health promotion and marketing.
Candidates for the Olmsted County Public Health Services internships must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university requiring the completion of an internship prior to graduation. Candidates must be in pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree in Health Education, Health Promotion, Community Health, Public Health or Wellness. Students should be in their senior year.
Intern responsibilities include:
- Establishing positive relationships by communicating effectively in one-on-one or group settings
- Assist in building, supporting, and sustaining community partnerships
- Demonstrate competence in implementing grant deliverables along with learning about grant writing and evaluation of grant activities
- Creating and delivering targeted health promotion materials and presentations
- Delivering high-quality service to the community with confidentiality and compassion
As an intern you have the opportunity to observe other departments within Public Health, including:
- Environmental Health
- Disease Prevention and Control
- Healthy Children and Families
- School Public Health Nursing
OCPHS internships offer daily on-the-job interactions with colleagues for undergraduate and graduate students to gain quality career experience. As a health promotion intern, you are a valued member of the OCPHS team.
Internships are offered in the spring, fall, and summer.
- Applications received between these dates will be considered:
- Spring internship -- apply between August 1 and October 1
- Summer internship -- apply between Jan 1 and March 1
- Fall internship -- apply between April 1 and June 1
During the application process, you'll be asked to attach:
- Cover letter -- describe your career objectives and list pertinent experiences you've had, your current academic standing, and hours required for your internship.
The applicant is responsible for ensuring that all application materials are completed and received on or before the deadline for each internship period. the selection committee will not review incomplete applications. Applicants will be invited to interview with the selection committee and offers will be made within one month of the closing date.
Interns need to make their own housing arrangements in the community.
Transportation and Parking
You will need to make your own arrangements for traveling to and from work. Parking is available on campus. Biking is encouraged and bike racks are available.
Public Health Clinicals and Internships
We host students enrolled in a public health discipline: nursing, advanced practice nursing, community health worker, environmental health, dietetics and health promotion. For Health Promotion Internships, please complete the application below. For all other opportunities, email your request to be hosted to email@example.com.
Health, Housing and Human Services
The mission of Olmsted County Parks is to foster an appreciation of the natural world through environmental education, natural resource management, and public participation in the stewardship of our park lands.
Both volunteer opportunities and internship opportunities are available throughout the Parks system.
To apply for an opportunity in our Parks please fill out the application below. All questions that are marked with a red asterisk * are required fields and you will not be able to submit the application without answering them.