Effective December 29, 2020, anyone needing the following services will need to make an appointment using the Olmsted County Online Check-in System. These services will not appear as options in the Olmsted County Online Check-in System until December 29.
Olmsted County can provide you with certified death certificates of people who died after the year 1997, in the state of Minnesota.
Keep in mind
If the death happened before 1997 and occurred in Olmsted County:
- For a certified death record, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.
- For a non-certified death record contact the History Center of Olmsted County.
If the death did not happen in Minnesota, contact the county or state where it happened.
Obtaining a Death Certificate
1. Gather your information
Helpful information we use to find the correct record:
- First, middle & last name of the person who died
- Date of death
- Date of birth, or age at the time of death
- City and county where the person died
- The deceased's mother's name
- The deceased's father's name
- The spouse on record (if any)
2. Fill out the application
A. Download, print, and completely fill out one of the death certificate request forms.
B. Download, print, and complete the Persons Who Have Tangible Interest form.
3. Submit form
If you are requesting a CERTIFIED death certificate you must have the request notarized.
Make sure you include:
- The original, notarized Death Certificate Application request form.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Fees: We accept check, money order, or cashier's check, payable to Olmsted County Vital Records.
- OR Credit Card information completed on the Death Certificate Application form. There is a 2.49% convenience fee for credit card orders.
Vital Records and Licensing
151 4th Street SE
Rochester, MN 55904-3709
Please allow one week for processing.
Come to the Government Center
Bring your identification, the application, and the fees to:
Olmsted County Vital Records
151 4th Street SE
Rochester, MN 55904
We accept credit card, check, money order, or certified check payable to Olmsted County Vital Records. (There is a 2.49% convenience fee for credit card orders.)
We are open between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
To minimize health risks, we ask that you bring no more than one guest along with you (and your guest should only be invited if necessary). Do not enter the building more than five minutes before your scheduled arrival time.
If you are requesting a CERTIFIED death certificate, you must have the request notarized.
- On the Fax cover page, please include your contact information.
- Fax to 507-328-7965
When paying by credit card, the name on the card must match the name of the certificate requester.
(There is a 2.49% convenience fee for credit card orders.)
Please note: Fees are subject to change. The most up-to-date cost can be found in the document below.