There are two ways to record a document.
With electronic recording, title companies, lenders, law firms and others can electronically record documents without leaving the office. This process provides a faster turn around time vs. documents sent through the mail. All document types can be e-Recorded.
To get started with eRecording, contact one of these state-recognized trusted submitters.
Paper (in person or by mail)
Steps for Recording Documents
Follow the five steps below to format and submit a document for recording in Olmsted County
1. Format your document. All documents must:
- Be completed prior to being presented for recording
- Be dated
- Have a complete and correct legal description. (Do not use the description on the tax statement)
- Have all exhibits attached and labeled
- Have a "Drafted by" statement that includes the name and address of the drafter of the document
- Include the correct recording fee
- Not be altered. Whiteout and correction tape are unacceptable on any legal document
- Be signed and notarized
- The acknowledgment must include:
- Legible notary seal
- Notary signature
- Notary commission expiration date
- Names and marital status of signatures being acknowledged. Marital status e.g. single or husband and wife; person A married to Person B and Person B married to Person A; or Person A and Person B - Married to each other.
- If a corporate acknowledgment, include the business name and signer's official title, and the notary block must indicate that the signature is on behalf of the company
- Please review Minnesota Statute 507.093 Minnesota statutory document standards.
- Recording Transfer Deeds
- State Deed tax due is .0033 of the purchase price
- For consideration of more than $3,000., complete and submit an e-CRV (Minnesota Statute 272.115)
- For consideration of $3,000 or less, State Deed Tax due is $1.65. The document must state “Total consideration for this transfer is $3,000 or less”
- All delinquent taxes must be paid to transfer property. (Minnesota Statute 272.12)
- Include a “Send Tax Statements to" statement on document listing names and address
- Submit a completed Well disclosure certificate and $50.00 fee for each certificate or include one of the following statements on the document.
- 1.“The Seller certifies that the seller does not know of any wells on the described real property” or
- 2. “I am familiar with the property described in this instrument and I certify the status and the number of wells on the described real property have not changed since the last previously filed well disclosure certificate.”
- Recording Mortgages
- Mortgage registry tax due is .0023 of the mortgage amount.
- Recording Miscellaneous Documents
- Corrective Document - This is a new document
- Include a statement explaining what has been corrected on the document
- Must have new signatures and new acknowledgement
- Include new recording fee and $1.65 Deed Tax for any transfer documents
- Re-recorded Documents
- Include original document with a cover sheet explaining why it is being re-recorded.
- Include new recording fee
- Corrective Document - This is a new document
2. Determine if this is Torrens Property from the Torrens list.
- Torrens property must be noted on the Standard Recording Slip
3. Fill out this Standard Recording Slip listing all information for documents included in your recording package.
4. Calculate and include filing fees and taxes due.
|Abstract Recording Fees|
|Record a Document||$46.00|
|Record Assignments, Partial Releases of Satisfactions with four document citations or less||$46.00|
|Additional fee for each document cited over the first four||$10.00|
|Record a plat||$56.00|
|Non-certified or duplicate original. Original document is presented along with a copy or duplicate||$2.00|
|Research fee per hour with a one hour minimum||$50.00|
|Torrens Recording Fees|
|Record a document transferring a certificate||$46.00|
|Entry of memorial||$46.00|
|Multiple certificate entries thereafter||$20.00|
|Record a plat or registered land survey||$56.00|
|Issuance of residue certificate||$40.00|
|Exchange certificate for each certificate canceled||$20.00|
|Exchange certificate for each new certificate issued||$20.00|
|Well disclosure certificate||$50.00|
|State Deed Tax||.0033 X Purchase Price|
|State Deed Tax when total consideration is less than $3,000.00||$1.65|
|Mortgage Registry Tax||.0023 X Mortgage Amount|
5. Submit the document for recording
- Review document carefully according to document formatting requirements
- Fill out the Standard Recording Slip completely
- Include separate checks for all applicable recording fees
- Recording fee for each document included
- State deed tax
- Mortgage registry tax
- Well certificate fee
- Mail completed package to:
Olmsted County Recording and Abstracting
151 4th St SE
Rochester, MN 55904
- Or bring to our office to record in person
- Once recorded, the original document will be returned to the person indicated on the document in approximately three weeks. If you need immediate copies, they can be requested from our office at the time of submission for $2 per page.