Renew a Passport
Adult - Passport Renewal
Passport renewals (for people who are eligible) are handled by the US Department of State and done only through U.S. Mail. Do not come to the Government Center unless you need a new photo. We can take your photo for $15.00 for you to submit with your application through the mail.
If you have questions about the renewal process, please call our office at 507-328-7629.
What you must submit VIA US MAIL:
- Completed form DS-82 - Must use black ink
- Most recent undamaged passport
- Check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State for the application fee according to your passport type and timeline
- New photo - We can take this in our office for $15.00.
- Any name change certified documents
Mail all of these to the correct address listed on the application according to your timing needs.
- If your current passport has been lost or stolen, you cannot do a renewal. You must fill out both form DS-11: "Application for a US Passport" and form DS-64 "Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport Book and/or Card" completely in black ink and bring to our office.
Minor - Passport Renewal
For applicants under 16, both parents and the child must be present. (If one or both parents are unable to be present, call our office for more information.)
Applicants age 16 or 17 must have valid identification. We recommend that one parent is present.
Read all these steps first!
Because we are using social distancing to help keep people safe, our minor renewal process has changed.
Read the following instructions all the way through before you begin.
1. Gather your information
You will need:
- Current or most recent expired passport
- Certified birth certificate
- Any applicable documentation pertaining to name or identity change for child or parents. (Example, certified marriage certificate, adoption papers,)
2. Download and complete Form DS-11 "Application for a US Passport."
Download Application for a US Passport
DO NOT print the form on both sides of a single piece of paper (back to back).
The application form must be completed:
- to the best of the applicant's knowledge
- IN BLACK INK
- Parental information is required (even if the parents are deceased)
- Do Not print the form on both sides of a single piece of paper (back to back)
DO NOT SIGN THE FORM.
3. Determine the fees
Fees are based on the age of the applicant and the time from in which the applicant needs their passport returned to them.
Bring two (2) forms of payment for each applicant.
- Department of State Fee: Check, money order or cashier’s check payable to: U.S. Department of State – one payment (1) per applicant. (The Department of State does NOT accept cash or credit card.)
- Olmsted County Processing Fee: Check, money order, cashier’s check, cash or credit card.
Note that fees are subject to change. The most up-to-date cost can be found in the document below.
4. Get your arrival time
On the day you want to come into the Olmsted County Government Center building, use the Olmsted County Online Check-in page to get an arrival time. This will help us avoid crowded lines at the Government Center.
The web page will tell you what time to arrive. It will give you a ticket number that you will use to check in when you arrive. That same number will be used to call you to the desk. Keep it handy. (You will also receive a text message with this number and arrival time.)
For safe social distancing, do not enter the Government Center more than five minutes before this time.
Access the Olmsted County Online Check-in system with your computer or smart device
5. Come to the Government Center
To minimize health risks, we ask that you only bring the applicant and the applicant's parent(s).
Remember to bring the information you gathered and payment for any fees.
Olmsted County Government Center
151 4th Street South East
Rochester, MN 55904
6. What to expect when you arrive
Check in at the Information Desk in the front entrance. After you check-in, you will receive further instructions.
If you have questions, there will be staff available to direct you.
When it is your turn, you will be called to the desk.
Thank you so much for your cooperation with this new process. Stay healthy and stay safe!