Hazardous Waste Facility
Saturday, June 17 - Facility closed in observance of Juneteenth
Address: 305 Energy Parkway NE, Rochester, MN 55906
Facility Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Department Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Residents can bring unwanted or unusable household hazardous waste (HHW) to the Hazardous Waste Facility. Items commonly accepted (not an inclusive list) at the facility include:
- Automotive, rechargeable, and button batteries
- Household cleaners
- Mercury products such as thermostats and thermometers
- Sharps (disposal procedure)
- Special waste
- Used Antifreeze
Identifying Hazardous Materials
Look for the following words on the item's label:
- Contains Acid
- Contains Lye
- Contains petroleum distillates
- Causes burns to skin
Improper use or disposal can be harmful to human health and the environment.
- All waste items must be secured in non-leaking containers. Keep containers upright in the back of your vehicle (trunk, cargo bed, rear of SUV).
- Waste items must be accessible by our staff without you getting out of your vehicle.
- Drive into the unloading area and turn off your engine. Stay in your vehicle; staff will remove your waste.
- "Very Small Quantity Generators" (VSQG) business waste needs pre-approval by application
Hazardous Waste Reuse Center
Some of the materials brought to the Hazardous Waste Facility are still perfectly usable. These items are given a second life in the facility's Reuse Center.
Any products you find in the Reuse Center are free for the taking. Products are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Visitors are asked to limit the number of items they take to ten per day. Common items include:
- Automotive products (waxes, cleaners, fuel additives, etc.)
- Cleaning products
- Paint solvents
- Wood stains
- There is no guarantee these products will be available.
Reuse Center Rules:
- The Reuse Center will have a maximum occupancy of 3 customers.
- Customers are limited to five minutes per visit.
- Customers are limited to ten items per visit.
Businesses and nonprofit organizations located in Southeast Minnesota generating less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month may participate in the Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) program. VSQG business waste needs pre-approval by application.
The VSQG program was developed to help dispose of small amounts of hazardous waste cost effectively and in compliance with state and federal regulations.